Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The Ambulance Chronicles
:: Welcome to My Life. Just look around, read some stuff, or laugh in mockery at me.
:: Blogger | My home page | Contact info ::
[::Get to know me::]
QUICK UPDATE
::I'm an EMT, and I work on an ambulance. I'm aspiring to be a paramedic someday, but I might go for the MD also.
::Anne is my silly goose and we have been married for four and a half years. Time flies when you fight wars.
::God is so amazing. He's done so much in my life lately. Just read to the right.
::I am a former driver's ed student and I'm probably that kid that your family talks about almost hitting them.
[::My weather::]
[::Listening to::]
::my IPOD
[::My favorite sites::]
::Annikin's online journal
::SGT Dub's blog
::Task Force Warrior
::Get addicted
::How Stuff Works
::Christian guitar
::Christian happenings
[::..Feeling nostalgic?..::]
[::My contact info::]
::My email
Email Me!!!

:: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 ::

That's the military for you

I woke up this morning, just in time for me to get ready for my mission. I didn't really get much sleep because my mind knew I had to wake up early. So I slumped out of bed, got dressed, mosied to the meeting point for my mission and was promptly told the mission was cancelled. At O-dark-thirty, I was told the mission was cancelled. I couldn't believe it. I waited around another good 10 minutes just to make sure.

The mission was cancelled.

So I went back to bed and laid there for another hour because I was wide awake and eventually fell asleep. Then I woke up at 0700 when everyone else got up but I stayed in bed hoping I could squeeze in another few minutes of sleep. Then I woke up at 0800. I gave in then. I figured I wasn't about to get any sleep so I might as well go to work. And go to work I did.

I have noticed recently that I have quite a few friends on post. I have made more friendships than I could ever imagine to be honest with you. Ironically, most of my friends outrank me. I joke and laugh with them like I was an E-7, or CW3, or a Major. I find it awfully cool. That's how the Guard works, though. Rank is pretty much for show since you grew up with most of the people you work with.

Someday I'll get to that level. Right now I just try and fit in. I have been told that I have a likeable personality. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I can see that. I am all about making friends. I won't lie to you to make you happy and I won't lie to you to make you mad. I tell the truth, straight up. If you can't handle it, that's not my problem. Being real is what people like, though. As far as I know, everyone is real with me because that's just how our friendship works. SGT Dub and I are pretty close; I don't lie to him about supply stuff, he doesn't lie to me...well, most of the time he doesn't lie to me...about his job.

I guess if everyone could be upfront with each other like that, the world would be a better place. Most people live in a world of lies, building fake lives around themselves to be whatever they want to be. Why can't we all just be who we are? And why can't we all just realize that it is not the responsibility of the person next to us to make sure we are alright.

We were watching Oprah today in the office (there was mention of work during commercials) and she was doing a show about the Virginia Tech massacre. Dark part in American history, I know. I won't go there again. But this topic she was discussing is something I feel deep about and I will not recant anything I say.

The episode was about the news media showing the videotape of the killer talking about why he did what he did and such. Apparently, the news media made quite a few people upset, angry, outraged by continually showing the video. My question is: where was your remote (or for the remoteless, your child to change the channel)? No one can make you watch a certain news channel or clip. No one forced those people to keep watching. Just change the channel. Turn off the tv. Why do Americans think that it is everyone else's job to take care of them.

I try to take care of Ann and myself, and I pray that I am doing a good job. My parents offered to pay for groceries several times (well, my mom did; I'm not sure if my dad knew) but I didn't take the offer. Why? Because I'm married. Now, granted, Ann and I stayed at my parent's house for four months after getting married and that is something I will forever be grateful to my parents, but Ann and I moved out at first chance. We took a leap of faith to move out and take care of ourselves because that is life. We didn't know if we could make it, but that's what we did. We took care of ourselves.

Why does it seem to be ingrained in the minds of Americans (humans for that matter) that someone must take care of us? Getting married taught me one huge lesson; the Army has taught me another. The only person you can trust is yourself. No one will take a PT test for you; no one will go to NCOES classes for you; no one will make sure your paperwork is correct.

If everyone could understand this, then maybe the news media could show what they feel needs to be shown and those that disagree WON'T WATCH. Maybe people could make decisions for themselves. Maybe our world could run quite a bit better if everyone would pull their own weight.

Maybe I'm talking out my butt. If so, get over it. That's just how I feel and you can be sure I won't hide my feelings from you.

God is good. All the time.
Peace

:: Ben 1:00 PM [+] ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

Back to the top
eXTReMe Tracker eXTReMe Tracker

I'm a Seadog!
Click here to test your skills at the wheel of a carribean cruise liner.



Click Here to get this from FreeFlashToys.com!

You Passed 8th Grade Math
Congratulations, you got 9/10 correct!
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?